Inhalt

Eschmarer Mühle (old mill in Troisdorf)

Troisdorf city history

In 1994 the city of Troisdorf celebrated its 25-year anniversary within its present-day limits. Following the reorganisation of local government boundaries in 1969, Troisdorf consisted of ten localities, which have since evolved into 12 districts. These have a long history of their own:

First settlements

The first settlements were farmsteads or hamlets. Friedrich-Wilhelms-Hütte is an exception to this. It was first mentioned as Eschmar and Sieglar in 832.

The onset of Christianisation gave rise to the churches of St. Johannes Sieglar (circa 760), St. Lambertus Bergheim (circa 700), St. Hippolytus Troisdorf (circa 1000) and St. Georg Altenrath (circa 1100).

A Bergisch court survey dating back to 1555 mentions the following administrative areas ("Honschaft", a predecessor of "Gemeinde" [municipality]): Bergheim with Müllekoven, Sieglar, Eschmar; Spich with Kriegsdorf and Troisdorf. Altenrath is not mentioned.

The Bürgermeisterverfassung (Mayoral Constitution [Fr: Mairie]) was introduced under Napoleon in 1806: Altenrath joined Lohmar, Troisdorf joined Siegburg and became an independent mayoralty on 1.4.1899; all the other localities in today's city joined the mayoralty of Sieglar.

Old postcard from the Kasinoviertel (casino quarter) enlarge picture

 

Industrialisation

Industrialisation began in the early 19th century with the construction of an alum works in Spich in 1815, the Claren bell foundry in Sieglar in 1816 and the iron works on the Sieg in 1825. This was followed in 1887 by the construction of a detonator and explosives factory in Troisdorf, which subsequently became Dynamit-Nobel AG. Three railway lines made it a particularly attractive location in the 19th century.

Old picture showing an aerial view of the city center of Troisdorf enlarge picture

Troisdorf becomes a city

Troisdorf, elevated to the rank of a city in 1952, was merged with localities in the municipality of Sieglar and the towns of Altenrath and Friedrich-Wilhelms-Hütte on 01.08.1969  The residents of Altenrath were able to move back in 1945, the town having been forced to make way for an expansion of the army's drill ground in 1938.

The 1970s were a time of fresh impetus for urban development:

Modern housing estates, new educational and cultural facilities, numerous parks, a large pedestrian precinct, new industrial and commercial zones and an extensive network of cycle paths were built.

Number of residents

Troisdorf, a town of industry and culture, is now the largest city in the district, with over 77,000 inhabitants.


Further Information